Dr Anu on Social Media has been suspended by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) indefinitely from the medical profession in Nigeria with effect from 5th November 2020.
The suspension Order was issued by the Medical and Dental Practitioners Investigation Panel pursuant to powers conferred on it by s15(3)c of the Medical and Dental Practitioners Act Cap M8 LFN 2004.
Dr Anuoluwapo is the owner and founder of the private hospital in Lekki Lagos called Medcontour Clinic – the clinic where she performs cosmetic surgeries on her clients.
She graduated from College of Medicine, University of Lagos (CMUL) in 2017. By December 2018, she carried out a Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery procedure on a patient who later developed complications and went on to die from the complications. She was a House Officer (a young medical graduate in training) when she carried out the procedure.
Cosmetic surgeries are a highly specialized procedures that should be carried out only by trained specialists (consultant plastic surgeons) according to Nigerian and international medical laws.
Dr Anu is rumoured not have even been fully registered with the medical and Dental Council of Nigeria since she did not complete her internship programme in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and therefore was not signed out by the hospital management.
How her problems started.
- Yes, she is a medical doctor. However, she is believed not to have been fully registered by MDCN as she didn’t finish her housemanship program.
- Dr Anu performed surgery as a house officer in her private hospital which later led to the death of a patient in 2018. The patient was a former beauty queen.
- She set up a private hospital for highly specialised procedures even as an intern. This is against Nigeria’s constitution…A doctor can only open a private hospital 2 – 5 years post graduation according the MDCN.
- The latest problem that landed her in court and with the federal government is the botched/failed buttock enlargement surgery she performed on a controversial social media big girl called Omohtee Jesusbaby. After the surgery, Omhote claimed she lost sensation on her waist and she called out Dr Anu on her Instagram Page and Twitter handle for the poor surgery and complications she has developed.
- In the heat of this controversy, Dr Anu allegedly performed a breast enlargement surgery on a client who later developed breast abscess complications. The patient was later rushed to LUTH when her breast started draining pus. Fortunately she recovered at LUTH.
- In spite of the numerous calls for her arrest on social media, Dr Anu has remained defiant, saying only MBBS is required for cosmetic surgery.
- Her health facility, Medcontour has been shut down several times by the federal authorities over reports of alleged malpractices, complications and deaths.
How long will her suspension take?
Indefinitely. Her suspension is till further notice. It is pending the determination of the case by the Medical and Dental Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.The disciplinary tribunal is currently sitting on her case and investigating her alleged medical misconducts. Dr Anuoluwapo may lose her licence if the disciplinary committee finds her guilty of medical practice and misconduct